Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day Sixty-three--Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Yes. I know. I'm late again today. I'm not sure why. I just didn't have much gumption to fight for time on the computer. Actually, I haven't done all that much today. I'm calling it a mental health day. I did get my treadmill time done so that's good.

Last night's dinner was good. It was Monday so that means Meatless Monday here in our little home. Black beans and rice is something I picked up living in Florida. Sadly, I can't make it as well as those cute little Cuban women but I try my best. It's super easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for the brown rice to be done cooking.

Cuban Black Beans and Rice
Black Beans and Rice

This meal couldn't be any easier. I swirled some olive oil around the pan and then threw in a chopped onion, and chopped green pepper and 2 cloves of mashed garlic. This cooked for a few minutes to soften and then I added some cumin to cook for a minute. Then to the mix you add two cans (drained) or organic black beans and a cup of water. Oh, and some oregano and a splash of red wine vinegar. That's it. Easy, no? Like I said, the worst part was waiting for the brown rice to finish. I've learned my lesson though. I always start my rice way before I need it.

Simple meal. Enjoyed by most. Aidan didn't really like it. He ended up just eating a big bowl of rice. Connor had two bowls of the beans and rice and I could only eat about a half of a bowl. I wasn't all that hungry. It was tasty though.

That is all I have for now. I'm about a minute from pulling tonight's dinner out of the oven. Hopefully will post tonight. No promises though.

No comments:

Post a Comment