Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day Fifty-three--Fruit, Cheese and Bread

Once in a while we have a night where no one is particularly hungry and we go for the light dinner. Tonight was one of those nights. The inspiration for our dinner came from our day.

It was a beautiful day. The highs were in the high 60's (which is great for June) and the sun was high in the sky. Early in the morning, I had gotten everything done in the house that I wanted and I didn't want to just burn the day inside. I did a quick check on the "pick your own" site and found a farm near us that had pick your own strawberries. Since we've gone to mostly seasonal eating, we were dying for fruit.

The boys and I walked to Tim's office to pick up the car and then headed out to the hills. We went back roads all the way, had the windows open and the music loud. It was so much fun. We spent about an hour picking until our fingers were stained red. On the way home, we passed a little farm stand at a local orchard so I stopped to see if they had anything available. I was able to get a big bag of apples and some local cheese. It was so funny because as we were driving home the boys and I shared one of the apples. We were all so appreciative for the sweet juicy fruit. This apple had been grown on a tree close to our home. It was so delicious and we tore through it.

We got home and had a huge mess to clean up after our dog had gotten very sick. After cleaning that up and giving Patchy a bath, Tim was home from work. So, I through a loaf of bread into the oven and we cut up a couple of apples, some strawberries, some fresh cherries and the cheese. That was our dinner. And you know what? It was perfect. It was all local. It was all fresh. It was just what we needed after being out in the fresh air all afternoon.

Fruit/Cheese
A light delicious dinner.

After dinner, Tim went to aikido and I made some shortcakes to enjoy some more of the berries. As for the rest of the berries (we came home with three very big bowls of them) they are destined to be jam today. It's supposed to rain all day so I can't think of anything better to do today. I'll hole up in the kitchen with my Glee soundtrack blasting and jam jars getting filled. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment