Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day Sixty-seven--PIzza night

Yes, I know. I'm two days late. I have two posts to do. Sorry. I couldn't get any time on the computer yesterday. Between my being busy all day and Connor hogging the computer, it just didn't happen. I am going to do two posts right now instead of being lazy and lumping two dinners into one post. That's good, right?

So Friday...that is our pizza night. What a pizza I had. Oh my. I was afraid I had missed my opportunity of asparagus pizza this year. I thought asparagus was done for this season. Imagine my surprise when one of the farms at the market had beautiful bunches of asparagus. I snapped up two bunches. I would have my pizza after all.
Asparagus Pizza
Asparagus Bacon Pizza

This pizza, I think, is my new favorite pizza. I was scared to try it because well, it's asparagus on a pizza. Fear not. Try it, when it's in season again. I tweaked my recipe a bit to add the bacon but I had a little bit of uncured bacon left in my fridge and I didn't want it to go bad. I fried up the bacon and then discarded most of the grease. In what little grease that was left I fried up some sliced onions. While I was doing that, Tim was kind enough to roll out the dough for the pizzas. I made the kids pizza and threw it in the oven and then got to shredding my asparagus. This was not an easy task. I think it was because the stalks were thin tender little guys. I did my best until I had a big bowl of shredded asparagus. I tossed it with the tiniest bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. My pizza crust was waiting for me and I got to building my pie.

First thing that went on the crust was some of my sauteed onions. I didn't use any pizza sauce, just put the onions right down. Then I had cubed up a little ball of mozzarella cheese and scattered that over the onions. Then I dropped all the shredded asparagus on top of the cheese. I finished by crumbling a couple of strips of bacon over the top. That's all that I put on it.

Oh. My. God. This pizza was so good. The crust came out perfectly too. I don't know if it was because I had my oven hotter than usual or if it was because there was no pizza sauce on it, but my crust was perfect. I love making my own pizza dough. It always does so well.

So there you have it. Friday night pizza night. The kids and Tim made different pizzas and we munched on the leftovers yesterday. Everyone was happy with this meal. We always are.

No comments:

Post a Comment