Friday, June 18, 2010

Day Fifty-nine--Macaroni and Cheese

Wow. I'm late in posting today. My pizza dough for tonight's dinner is going through it's final rise and I'm just now getting to posting last night's dinner. Last night's dinner was done on the road. We had Macaroni and Cheese. None of that gross boxed stuff here.

Mac n Cheese

I've made this recipe several times. It's from the River Cottage Family Cookbook. The first time I made this recipe Aidan swore off boxed macaroni. Both boys helped make it this time. It's pretty simple to throw together. You make a flour/butter rue and then slowly add warmed milk. Once it's slightly bubbling, then you get to the cheese shredding. We picked up a nice big brick of cheddar cheese in Cuba, NY while we were visiting Laurie last week and I used that. This is where the boys came into play. They were in charge of shredding. They added the shredded cheese to the milk mixture and melted it all down. Oh, and there was a bay leaf cooking in the milk the whole. My macaroni was boiling the whole time the milk and cheese was melting together. Then, you just drain the macaroni and add it to the cheesy goodness that is bubbling away in the other pot. I also added a wee bit of salt and fresh ground pepper. Then it all just gets dumped into a casserole dish and I put some fresh shredded Parmesan cheese on the top of it. Throw it in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes. Then it's done.

The recipe also calls to put 8 slices of bacon on top of it. I only used 3 slices that I cut in half. It adds a nice smoky flavor to the mac n cheese. I wish I would have thought to bring some hot sauce with us in the car because I think that would have added the last finishing touch to the meal, but we were in a rush to get out of the house. It was enjoyed by all on the road.

Whew. Now it's time to go make tonight's dinner. Until later. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment