Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day Fifty-two--Corn Fritters

Last night while I was waiting for Tim and Connor to come home from Connor's karate class, I got this crazy craving. I don't know where it came from. Maybe it was because I know we are going to try and live off of our cupboards and I had done a quick inventory or maybe I was thinking about my childhood. Whatever it was, I had this strong desire for corn fritters. It's funny too because as a child I didn't really like corn fritters. My mom would make them from time to time and I didn't like them. I wanted pancakes, not cakes with corn in them. Ewwww.

I looked around on the internet for a recipe and found a couple just as Tim was coming home. I casually mentioned the idea of it to him and Tim was all for it. He even offered to mix them up and fry them up. Most of the recipes I saw called for 3 to 4 cups of oil for frying. That was not an option. Gross. Tim took what we had and combined a couple of different recipes to get a good looking batter and he ended up frying them in a tiny little bit of oil.

Corn Fritters
Look at those beauties!

We all plated them up differently. Aidan and I had ours with a tiny bit of maple syrup. I finally went out and got some more local maple syrup. Tim said it's not as good as the NY syrup, but I disagree. I like the PA syrup better. Connor ate his fritters naked. I use the term "ate" loosely. He sucked them up into his little face as fast as he could. Tim went he gross way with his. He put siracha sauce on his. That's not bad. What was disgusting was that he popped open a can of squid (packaged with it's own ink, mind you) and put them on top of his fritters. The smell...oh, it wasn't good. He did make me take a taste and they weren't that bad. Not something I would venture out and eat on my own.

Corn Fritters with maple syrup
Corn fritters with maple syrup

The dinner ended up being a huge success. Aidan has declared that he wants corn fritters to be in our weekly rotation. He wants them every Monday for dinner.

I think I am going to have to break down and go to the store today to get some basic things like onions and flour. We will have to walk down to Tim's office to pick up the car but it's gorgeous out today so I'm thankful for that.

Until later, happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. I like them (and pancakes, and waffles) plain, straight from the griddle.

    ReplyDelete