Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day Sixty-eight--Summer Rolls and Sushi

Hello. Second post in a row. I'm taking advantage of the short window of opportunity with the computer. Thankfully, my laptop should be home tomorrow or Tuesday. Ok, on to last night's dinner. This one almost didn't happen. I almost got lazy and ordered subs from Wegmans, but we muscled through our exhaustion and pulled it off. I did half ass part of it. We bought sushi to go with our summer rolls.
Sushi and Summer rolls
Sushi and Summer rolls

Last week, on a whim, I picked up a copy of Everyday Foods. I used to have a subscription to this magazine and I might have to subscribe to it again. In this issue there was an article on how to make summer rolls. I have had rice paper wrappers in my cupboard for probably over a year so I decided to finally use them.

This was fairly easy to do, but it made quite the mess in my kitchen. In all honesty, Tim wrapped them all up. I sliced the shrimp and made the peanut sauce, but he had the messy part of wrapping them. Connor got into the action too. He mounded the rice vermicelli noodles up on a board and then topped the noodles with a squirt of fish sauce. Then he put two halves of a shrimp on top and then on top of the shrimp he put either a peppermint leaf or a basil leaf. Then Tim would soak the wrapper and grab a little mound from Connor and wrap it up. It was a little time consuming and like I said it was messy, but it was tasty. It was a nice light cool dinner after a hot day.

There you have it. Last night's dinner. Now I have to go wash my kitchen floor so it doesn't smell like fish sauce out there. I hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment