Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day Sixty-five--Pot Roast and Mashed Potatoes

Hello all. Whew. It's been hot around here lately. Too hot. I moved out of Florida to escape the heat. Last summer was perfect for me. High 70's to low 80's with a day or maybe two days of the mercury seeing 90. Those one or two days were perfect to drag out the kiddie pool and go nuts. It would then go back to it's normal 70s and 80s. It appears we are having our 90's this week. I did see in the forecast 70's again next week. Whew.

Now, on to dinner. It was a good one. I finally did something I've never done before. I cooked a pot roast. That's right, I've never done it before. I've never really been a beef person. I'm not sure why, but I never order steak out. Never have. The extent of my beef consumption has been burgers. The first time we ordered our grass fed beef from Chris and Amanda I asked for mostly ground beef because I use them to make chilies, tacos, burgers. They humored me and also threw in a couple of steaks. I think this was done for Tim's sake. They also knew that once we had them, we would be hooked. Well, we have a freezer full of roasts and big hunks of meat. I'm wasn't sure what to do with them. Then, I got my new cookbook that I'm absolutely in love with. The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I've been making recipes off of her most fantastic blog and had to have the cookbook. One thing to note is that these recipes are not low in calorie. I have to remind myself that her family runs a cattle ranch. They burn a lot more calories than my family does so I will not be using this cookbook on a daily basis, unless I start using my treadmill for four hours a day and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Anywhooo...on to dinner:
Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes
Pot roast with mashed potatoes

This was a nice middle of the week meal. It was very filling. It made a ton. We had lots of leftovers. They boys inhaled the mashed potatoes. They were very good. They weren't too big on the beef but did enjoy the carrots. I myself obsess about carrots that have been roasting with beef for a long period of time. Everyone knows that I get a huge claim to them. The recipe was very easy to follow. I think the thing that I liked the most was that I made it all earlier in the afternoon. The roast baked in the oven at a low temp for 3 hours and then I just reheated the potatoes. Once Connor came home from karate, dinner was ready and the kitchen was clean. Those are my kind of nights. We even went out and worked in the yard after dinner. That rarely happens.

I think that is all for now. Until later...peace out. =)

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I am so happy you tried grass fed beef. I tell many people that the taste difference is incredible but most people don’t believe it until they try it. If you need a place to get your grass fed beef from the next time you make Pot Roast, try La Cense Beef. I work with La Cense but our grass fed program is USDA approved. Our ranch is located in Montana where we ranch, sell, and package our meats to sell directly to consumers via the Internet.

    ReplyDelete