Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day Fifty-four--Steel Cut Oats

Yup. It was one of those nights. My creativity was tapped out. I had nothing. I was actually seriously wanting some Chinese food. I haven't eaten Chinese food for over three months now. I'm sure that is a record for me. Tim put his foot down and said no, much to Aidan's dismay (mine too).

What we did end up having was just a big bowl of steel cut oats. I didn't even bother with a picture because it really wasn't all that attractive. Again, we all eat ours a little differently. Connor and Aidan had a tiny touch of butter melted in theirs with some maple syrup and milk. I had a little smidge of butter and molasses in mine with a splash of milk. Tim....well, he went all weird again. I think he does things like this just to gross us out. He had a bit of butter, maple syrup and brace yourself, spirulina powder. It ended up being this bright green bowl of goo. Gross.

My oatmeal was delicious. It was just what I needed too. It was cold and grey all day and the warm bowl of creamy goodness warmed me up. I am also reminded of how much I love molasses. I have been trying desperately to find a local source of sorghum. I used to love that stuff as a kid. We would always end up with a gallon of it from my grandmother and I have been seriously jonesing for it for a while now. I think I should be able to get some south of here in Amish country and I might just have to venture out for some. I've craving it so badly, that I ordered blackstrap sorghum seeds to attempt to grow my own and make syrup myself. Do you comprehend how much I am wanting sorghum. For now the molasses will have to do. It totally hit the spot last night on my oatmeal.

On a different note...I have learned one thing this week. I NEED a menu plan. I need to have an idea of what I'm going to make each night or all hell breaks loose. That being said, I'm going to work on my menu for next week and get the food shopping done tomorrow as we are going out of town for the weekend. I want to come home Sunday night and not have to worry about going to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment