Monday, June 7, 2010

Day Fifty and Fifty-One--Weekend Wrap-up

I'm a bad blogger lately. I'm going to blame it on the fact that my laptop is on it's merry way to being fixed. I'll make this short but sweet.

Saturday (Day 50) was an odd dinner. I didn't even take a picture of it. Saturday we spent a good part of the day gardening. Around 3 pm we realized that we hadn't really eaten anything yet so Tim wanted to get creative in the kitchen. He got some minute steaks out of the freezer and quick defrosted them in some cold water. He then dragged out our wok and stir-fried up some onions, red peppers, shitake mushrooms and then the thin strips of steak. He used a bunch of different rice wine vinegars, tamari sauces and whatever else he could get his little hands on. He boiled up a package of bean threads. Bean threads, by the way, are awesome. They make tiny little noodles and the carb ratio is low on them so that's good for Connor. Plus, a package of them is only 89 cents. We had them in our cupboard so they were used.

This stir-fry ended up being our main meal of the day. I don't know why I didn't think to take a picture. Maybe it's because it was technically lunch, or maybe it was because we were also in the middle of a fierce Sorry game with the boys. This little meal held my hunger at bay until about 8 pm. I had a small bowl of home made granola for dinner. So, that is why there was no official Saturday post. Good food was had, and it was all real food, but it was a little out of order.

Sunday rolled around. I still hadn't been food shopping and barely had a menu made up. Tim wanted to do some grilling so that is what we did. It was another odd day on the eating front though. I guess I should just expect that on weekends. For some unknown reason our children let both Tim and I sleep in until 9 am. That NEVER happens. I woke up and was shocked that we had slept that late. I got up and made buttermilk pancakes. Tim cooked them up for me and added the rest of the strawberries we had left to half of the batter. They were delicious. We ended up eating breakfast around 10:30. Then Tim and I went out with Nancy and Ethan and did some serious weed control, garden bed cleanup before our storms were due to hit. Needless to say we were planting corn in the middle of a major downpour. We were throwing seeds and manure into the ground getting soaked. It was too much fun. The pancakes filled us up so much that we didn't really eat much in the afternoon. Connor and Tim finished off the leftovers from Tim's stir-fry on Saturday, but I wasn't hungry.

I knew that Tim wanted burgers, so I made burger buns again. I gotta tell you, they are crazy easy to make and they are so much better than buying buns in the store. Every time that I make them, they get better. I mixed up the ground beef with some chopped onions, garlic, HP sauce and Worcestershire sauce and Tim grilled the burgers up. We had a little bit of cheddar cheese left so he melted cheese over the tops. Now, I should say that I sent Tim out to the store really fast for a few things. We needed sweet potatoes and swiss chard for the dinner, so he was lovely enough to run out and get them for me. While he was grilling the burgers, I got the swiss chard all ready and kept my eye on the sweet potato fries. Tim actually cut up the fries for me and swooshed them around in olive oil and seasoned them with garlic salt and bit of paprika. I just made sure they didn't burn.

It all came together at the same time and we enjoyed this:

Burgers!
Burgers, swiss chard, and baked sweet potato french fries

This was a delicious dinner that we enjoyed on the back patio. The wicked storms blew through and left behind much milder temps and a nice cool breeze. How can you not eat outside when it's like that?!

Now, as far as the rest of the week is going to go, we are going to try and live off what we have in our cupboards and freezer. It should prove interesting as we are out of onions and we use onions on a daily basis. It will be an interesting week to see what we can pull together and how creative we can get. Who knows, we might end up eating cereal all week. I do have a lot of beans in the cupboard and we still have more than enough beef in our freezer that I don't even know where to start. Maybe Mr. Crockpot will come out this week. You'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

  1. so, do you have a recipe for the burger buns? I hate buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping this will link you to the recipe that I use...if not, I'll post it in my next post. =)

    recipe

    ReplyDelete