Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day Two--Herby Grilled Chicken Kabobs

Tonight's dinner almost didn't happen. I got started late making it and then catastrophe struck. My food processor broke. Granted, it's been broken for a while and I've been able to manage to use it. Not anymore. Of course, I didn't know that until after I had the bowl full of a lot of stuff. I ended up throwing it all into my blender and using that. It didn't work as well, but it was good enough for what I needed it to do. I guess I'll be shopping for a food processor this weekend. So here is what we dined on tonight:


Herby Grilled Chicken Kabobs

Herby Grilled Chicken Kabobs

This is another recipe off my Jamie Oliver app. It was easy to put together, minus the malfunction of my machinery. The chicken is organic free range chicken breasts. These little babies are expensive. Around 12 dollars for three breasts. I freaked out the first time, but then I thought that it's not that bad because it feeds four people and if we were to eat at a fast food place, we invariably spend more. The cost doesn't bother me that much.

The chicken is marinated in a mixture of cilantro, mint, garlic, a chili pepper, green onions, lemon zest and juice. The skewer consisted of the chicken and zucchini. Tim was kind enough to grill it for me. While he was grilling the kabobs I made the salad. The salad was easy. Romaine lettuce, a half of a cucumber, an avocado, green onions and basil. It is dressed with English mustard, olive oil and red wine vinegar. I had never had English Mustard before. It is so good. It is a little spicy, but I like spicy things so it's all good. We had this all with whole wheat pitas from a local bakery.

Tim and I loved it. Connor enjoyed the pita and the kabobs but didn't like the salad. He didn't like the avocado in it. Aidan ate a pita and a bite of chicken and a bite of lettuce. In the past we've allowed him to eat something else if he didn't like dinner. We are putting an end to that. If he doesn't eat what we are having for dinner then he will go hungry. I will worry if he starts to lose weight but until then I think he'll get the hang of eating what we are eating.

I had my first freak out today about this whole "eating real food" thing. It was when I was trying to plan next weeks menus. Part of the problem is that we are going out of town this weekend. We are lucky enough to have a home to stay in and I'll be able to cook while I'm there, but I always feel weird working in someone's kitchen. Add to that the fact that I will have to do the grocery shopping in a store that I'm not used to. I don't know how their supply of organic food is. I don't know if I'll be able to get the grade of meat that I want. We'll make due. We always do, but it just adds a little stress.

Speaking of menus. I hate doing them. I know they are a necessity. It makes it much easier at dinner time if I have an idea of what I'm making and have everything I need for it. My problem is that we are boring eaters most of the time. We find certain things that we like and then we tend to repeat them. I worry that this could make for a boring blog. I had five different cookbooks out today pouring over them trying to figure out what to do and ultimately ended up getting most of my ideas and recipes online. I'll post links to them when I can.

Well, my kitchen is closed for the night. Time to put the wee ones to bed and then I can relax. Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment