Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day Twelve--Steak and Potatoes

Four years ago we belonged to a CSA in the area. We joined for a half share and every two weeks we would drive out to pick up our amazing organic veggies and herbs and flowers. The kids loved driving out there because they got to chase chickens, see pigs and once in a while go on a horse ride. Chris and Amanda became friends and we loved going out there to pick up our goodies. Then for whatever reason, we didn't join the next year. I think we were facing a possible move and didn't want to get tied into something. A year passes and I look for Chris and Amanda at the farmer's market and they aren't there. We finally touch base again and find out that they are just concentrating on raising beef now. When we were with the CSA we were vegan. That was a year long experiment to try it out. Amanda carefully asked if we wanted to try some grass fed beef. At this point we weren't vegan so we said sure. We bought a 25 lb sampler box. It was delicious. I've never really been a meat kind of person. I liked burgers from fast food places...come to find out that those burgers are just parts of really bad beef full of chemicals made to taste like burgers. Chris and Amanda raise grass fed, organic, pastured cows. We've ordered from them three times now. That leads us to tonight's dinner.

Steak and Potatoes
Steak with grilled steak fries and red swiss chard.

We had to figure out how to get 50 lbs of various cuts of beef and 10 pounds of beef hot dogs into our freezer. We still had a little bit of beef left over from our last purchase. We also had a new grill to test out. Thanks Dad B. We decided tonight was a good night to eat some beef and try out the new grill.

I have not made menus yet for this week. Today was a very busy day and I was a little worried about being too tired to cook anything when we got home and not having any ideas of what to cook. While we were out on various outings I ran into the store and picked up a couple of potatoes and some red swiss chard. Tim wanted to get creative and made this pretty tasty chocolate chili sauce to have with the steak. He also did the grilling. I just sauteed the chard in a little bit of olive oil with some garlic. For the fries, I looked up a Bobby Flay recipe. It had like 12 different spices mixed together. I boiled the potatoes for ten minutes and then let them cool off a bit. I cut them into fries and then I put a little bit of oil on them and shook the spice mixture over them and then Tim grilled those too. I also had some baby bella mushrooms and just cooked those up too. It came together pretty easily and we enjoyed a nice dinner outdoors. It was a little cool out but it was a nice dinner.

Now I have to really buckle down and do menus for next week and get my shopping list ready for tomorrow morning. I think that is all for now. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment