Monday, April 19, 2010

Cows on Drugs

There is an interesting opinion piece in the NY Times today. Cows on Drugs. No, cattle are not sitting around smoking weed. This author talks about how animals are given antibiotics that we, as humans, use. We then ingest meat, eggs, milk that carries these antibiotics in it. Doesn't sound bad right? Wrong. Now people are becoming resistant to antibiotics. Doctors are trying to treat illnesses with antibiotics and people aren't getting any better. There are people dying (a lot) because their treatments aren't working. Do cows need drugs? No. They need to be pasture grazed. They need to eat food that is normal for them (not corn). They don't need to grow as fast and as big as they can so more money can be made. It's disgusting.

So, yes, mass production of cattle and drugs to make them bigger and disease resistant puts cheaper meat in your plate, but at what cost? At slowly making you and bacteria immune to antibiotics that you might need later to help fight a disease. I'll continue to buy organic, grass fed, pasture raised beef and I'll eat the cost. If I can't afford to buy organic meat then I will eat vegetarian until I can afford it. It's not worth it to me or my family to take the risks.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Bee...that is really amazing. You are right. I'm investigating places here where we can get organic and grass fed beef, etc. I found this place: http://www.countrygardensfarm.com/Farm_and_Produce.php I wanna go check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete