Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day Nine--Warm Lentil Salad

This dinner is a repeat for us. I made it a couple of weeks ago and we loved it so it has been put in our rotation. Yes, it's another Jamie Oliver recipe off of my 20 min meals app. It says it makes 4 servings, but we all had a big plate of it (Aidan had a little bit less) and we still have a serving for tomorrow's lunch which Connor has already claimed as his. It's pretty funny around here in the morning when Tim is making his lunches. There is usually a battle between him and Connor over who gets the left overs. Luckily we had enough leftovers from last night for three of us to have it for lunch today. So, here is tonight's dinner:

Warm Lentil Salad
Warm Lentil Salad

This is really easy to do. One thing I like about the app is that it is step by step and while one thing is working on the stove, it tells you what to do to prep for the next step. I first sauteed a lot of garlic and thyme together. Then I added 2 cans of organic lentils and warmed them up. I then put a splash of red wine vinegar in it. While that is warming up I made the balsamic dressing. Then I had to cut up some bacon. I used less than the recipe called for. Once the bacon was done cooking, you roast up some torn up pieces of fresh ciabatta bread to make crispy croutons. Then you put everything on top of a bowl of lettuce. Now, the first time I made this I wasn't sure I would like warm lettuce. It was fabulous. It was so delicious. Aidan even ate it. He didn't really eat it last time. This time he tried it again and said that he actually liked it. We didn't push him too much on him. I gave him a very little bit and told him he just had to eat what was on his plate and he did. When he said he liked it I asked him if he wanted more and he gave me a very emphatic NO. I didn't push it. I was very happy with him eating what he did.

It's interesting. We are starting to notice a couple of things. One, it doesn't seem like we are eating as much as we used to. It takes less food to fill us up and we aren't snacking as much as we used to. I'm wondering if it is because we are actually getting nutrients in our food and our bodies are feeling fuller sooner. Another thing I've noticed is that now that we don't have any processed food or snacks in the house at all, the kids are content to eat fruit if they ask for a snack. Aidan has realized that this is how we are eating and now he's more willing to try new things. I don't have to rave about Connor actually eating because he has always been an adventurous eater. He was eating tofu and couscous when he was a year old. He loves spicy foods. He pretty much loves everything. He doesn't like chicken or turkey, but only because they don't have enough flavor. I love the fact he's willing to try new things. He's being a very good example for Aidan and now Aidan is doing much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment