Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day Six--Crispy Asparagus Potato Tart

I realized that when I made the menu for this week that out of six nights, four of them are things I've never made before. This might have been poor planning. We could all be really grumpy by the end of the week from not eating any tasty food.

Tonight I made Jamie Oliver's Crispy Asparagus and Potato Tart. Can you tell I adore Jamie? I love how he uses real food. Yes, some of it might be fatty but you use such a tiny bit of that to get such a crazy intense flavor. This recipe called for Lancashire cheese. I asked the cheese lady at Wegmans and she said that they used to carry it but no one ever bought it. I had done some research on it when I was making my menus last week and learned it was a harder cheese. I picked up some Gruyere cheese instead. The lovely lady at Wegmans said it would be a suitable substitute. I've never had Gruyere cheese and while it is very expensive, it is very delicious. I used half of the small brick that I got for this dinner. Tim has already claimed the other half to munch on with apples through next week. So presenting:

Potato and Asparagus Tart

This recipe said it makes 4 servings. Uh, more like 6 or 7. That's great for us though because it means lunches tomorrow. That's always a plus. It was fairly easy to make. The worst part was working with the phyllo dough. I love how it bakes up but it is a royal pain in the arse to work with. It always tears on me when I'm working with it. I suffered through layering it trying not to get too upset with it. It was going to be covered with potatoes so that helped. I would say all in all it took about 25 minutes to prepare. While my potatoes were boiling, I was able to blanch my asparagus and shred my cheeses, and get my layers of phyllo in the pan. Once the potatoes were done it took 5 minutes to get them mashed and everything pulled together. It baked for 20 minutes and I took advantage of this time to clean up the kitchen.

I did go food shopping today and I did keep my receipt so I'm hoping that I can try to start getting cost per meal going here soon. So, all in all, this dinner was great. All four of us liked it and Aidan said that this needs to go into our weekly rotation. He even liked the asparagus. That is huge for him. I don't think it will go into the weekly rotation though due to the cost of the cheese. Connor and I also had a little bit of coleslaw with ours that was left over from a couple of days ago. It was still tasty.

Well, that's all I have for you now. Until tomorrow. Happy cooking.

**edited to add cost: Last night I was able to figure out the cost for this meal. It was hard to figure it out. I figured what each egg cost, what each ounce of milk cost, and then I came to the cheese. Obviously that was the most expensive part of this dish. Tim said I should count the whole cost of the cheese even though I only used half of it because I wouldn't have bought it if not for this recipe. That is what I did so the total meal was $24.29 split up between 6 servings which comes to $4.05 per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment