Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day One--Shrimp Linguini

This was our dinner last night. I am going to have to figure out posting. Some days I might post dinner right after we eat it, and then some days I might just post the next morning. Obviously I'm posting last nights dinner now.

This recipe came from an app that I have on my iTouch. It's Jamie Oliver 20 Minute Meals. I love this app and I've used it a LOT. It can flip between serving 2 or 4. It has step by step procedures and it has pictures with each step.

Shrimp Linguini

Shrimp Linguine

This did take only 2o minutes to do. I used my fresh pasta. It had garlic, basil, a green chili, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. The cherry tomatoes were organic and were so sweet. The basil was off our one of our many basil plants. Tim and I loved it. Connor liked the pasta and the shrimp but does not like the texture of the tomatoes. He ended up mixing a little pesto in with the noodles. Aidan, my tough to please little guy, liked the noodles and ate a shrimp and some basil. He liked the noodles but was not fond of much else. Not surprising. I will say that he is much more adventurous with his "no thank you bites" these days. As for the cost of this meal, I'm not sure. I will probably start tracking cost next week when I'm more organized. I don't have my receipt from this weeks shopping. I know I spent roughly 4o dollars at the dairy for milk, eggs and ice cream. That cost includes my bottle deposit because I forgot to take my empty bottles back. I think Wegmans was 140 dollars. Not too bad considering it included fresh flowers. Next week I'll keep my receipts and track what each meal costs.

Organic food. There is a lot of angst when I buy organic. Obviously there is the cost issue. We all know that buying organic foods is more expensive. There are weeks when I buy exclusively organic and then I have shell shock when I check out. Then there are weeks that I pick and choose what I buy organic. There are some things like carrots and celery that I buy organic all the time because they are top offenders for use of pesticides. For now, I'm going to put what I use that is organic. If I can get to the point of using exclusively organic then I'll let you know and won't feel the need to say it. I have a lot of thoughts about buying organic that I will share through the year. I must pace myself now though. =)

Well, I suppose that was day 1 of 365. I wasn't sure when to start this but I might as well just start it now. I'm a classic procrastinator and my fear holds me back sometimes, but not this time. I'm hoping I'll be able to post day 2 tonight. If not, I'll post it tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment