Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day Eight--Baked Pasta with Tomatoes and Mozzarella

Tonight's dinner was a huge success. Win. Score. It was so delicious. It took some planning and part of it was a little more work than usual but so worth it. So, on to the dinner. We had:


Baked pasta with tomatoes and mozzarella
Baked Pasta with Tomatoes with Mozzarella.

My first issue that I had with this recipe is that it called for a type of pasta that I've never heard of, nor could I find in the store. Thankfully google helped me out. The pasta was orecchiette. Basically it's a pasta that is shaped kind of like an ear. It's got what looks like a thumb print in the middle. I made my normal pasta recipe...and this is where the extra time comes in... and spent 45 minutes making little pasta ears. The whole time I was making them I was worried that it wasn't going to make enough but it did.

The sauce. Oh, the sauce. It was so good and I think I will use this sauce recipe for every pasta dish I make and I might even use it on our pizzas. It was so easy to make and I was able to use organic tomatoes. Did I mention that it tasted good? Yeah, I think I did.

Dinner didn't stop there though. No. Tim has been whining for a pie lately. I picked up some rhubarb at the store on Sunday. I also picked up some organic strawberries. I made a pie crust first thing this morning and then at lunch time made the pie. I was disappointed with my crust. It didn't really stay together while I was rolling it out and I ended up just pushing it down into the pie plate. It had a crumb top so thankfully I didn't have to put a crust on top. Top the piece of pie with a spot of whip cream (which Connor helped make) and it was the perfect dinner tonight.
Rhubarb Strawberry Crumb Pie
To wrap up, all four of us loved this meal. It was easy to make... minus the pasta ears. =) Again, Jamie Oliver, you rock!

Cost of dinner: **figuring out**

No comments:

Post a Comment