Saturday, May 8, 2010

Map

As I've been reading a lot about seasonal eating and trying to grapple with how far to take it, I found this today. I threw "what fruit is in season now" into my google search bar and found this neat map. You click on the map and choose your state and then across the top are months. It appears that right now in our state, we have only four things that are in season: asparagus, peas, spinach and lettuce. It also suggest recipes using said ingredients. Awesome.

Interestingly, I see no fruit on the "in season" list right now. Usually we like to eat our apples, citrus, and melons. On occasion a banana. Now, apples I know are in season in the fall. We go and pick them every year. They are not in season right now, so they are being trucked in from somewhere. I grew up in Florida so I know that citrus mostly comes from there or California and that is a winter fruit. Melons are a late summer fruit and we actually have some watermelon seeds sprouted and ready to go in the ground. Does this mean that we don't eat fruit right now? I know berries will be in season in another month or two. I suppose I can wait until then for some fruit. Until then, we'll just eat a lot of asparagus, peas, spinach and lettuce.

I dug out our city calendar the other day to confirm when our city's farmers' market opens up. June 24th. That is a long time still. I can't wait for it to start up. I know I'm going to ask one of the vendors about his apples. There is always an orchard there that has apples and honey. I want to know how he has apples to sell when picking season was last fall. I'm curious. I do know that their honey is awesome. I will be buying more of that as soon as I can.

Well, we are about to head out to the library and the dairy to pick up our weekly supply of milk, eggs and bacon, and maybe an ice cream. Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment