Friday, May 14, 2010

Day Thirty--Fritatta

Hello all. Another great day around here. I'm happy that we have gone 30 days with our mission. Last night's dinner was an easy dinner. It's one that we have had many times and it was funny because the whole time it was cooking, Connor kept cruising through and asking, "Is dinner ready yet?!" I guess he really likes this:

Fritatta
Potato and Spinach Fritatta

We had a bit of a mess up in the beginning, but fixed it. I've been using our cast iron skillet almost daily and I thought I would be able to use it for this. Wrong. The first thing you do for this recipe is cook the sliced potatoes with some olive oil. The potatoes were sticking like crazy. We ended up switching over to a non stick skillet. Then all was smooth sailing. The potatoes cooked and then I added the spinach and a clove of garlic. Once the spinach was wilted, I added the eggs and a sprinkling of grated cheddar. Then you cover it and let it cook for a few minutes. What could be easier? ! It was delicious and everyone ate it...even Aidan. He said that the spinach was actually good. There was one piece leftover and Connor wrapped it up and put it away, claiming it as his.

I don't usually post desserts because we don't usually have one. If we do have a dessert, it will be a scoop of amazing ice cream from our dairy on top of a simple cone. Tonight, I'm posting it because it was so good. Today I had to run to the farm to get more milk and eggs. I have been eyeballing the yogurt in the case thinking to myself that I should be eating yogurt because it's good for me. I hate yogurt. I try to eat it but end up gagging on it. I finally broke down and picked up a container of it. I got vanilla. I brought it home and cracked it open and took one tentative taste, expecting to put it in my fridge and then sit until it goes bad. I was so shocked at how this tasted that I made everyone have a spoonful of it. It was so amazing. Instead of having a snot like consistency it was smooth and the taste was incredible. The yogurt came from a dairy in Williamsport, the Toy Cow Creamery. I tried to look them up on the Internet but it appears they don't have a website. I did see that they sell raw milk though and I'm thinking that next time we are in the Williamsport area I might have to try some of that. I wish our dairy would sell raw milk, but I'll take the hormone free, grass fed, pastured raised cow milk that they do offer. Ok, getting off topic...back to dessert. I had a cup of organic strawberries and used some of the yogurt to dip the berries into. Then Aidan wanted a bowl of yogurt and Connor wanted a bowl of strawberries to himself. Slow changes and we are starting to see the boys not beg for the usual crap of cakes and cookies and be satisfied with fruit and yogurt.

Berries and yogurt
Berries and yogurt.

I have to give a shout out to the amazing person who made my berry bowl too. I've ordered a couple of her pottery pieces so far. She lives in Memphis and sells at the Memphis Farmer's Market and has an Etsy shop. She made me a custom order honey pot that gets used every day now that we are trying to cut the sugar out. You can find her at Bridgman Pottery on Etsy. Thanks Melissa!

Ok, that is all for now. Tonight is our pizza/movie night. I have to run out and get our cheese for said pizzas and I think I'm going to pick up Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day. Until tonight, or tomorrow morning, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment