Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day Eighteen--Burgers!

This will likely be a short post because, well, I'm tired and cranky. I'm trying to cool off too. It's hard to believe two days ago it was a high of 49 and I had the heat running and today it was 92 out while we were out shopping. Not a happy camper.

I didn't put up a post last night because we were at a fantastic presentation by a friend of mine. Pizza was served after the presentation. I had one piece of it and then had to come home and suck on the Pepto bottle. Yes, I drink it straight out of the bottle. After that we went back over to another friends house and hung out until almost 11, drinking margaritas and just chit chatting under the stars. It was fun. I didn't feel the need to post the dinner because it wasn't home made and it was most certainly not good for us.

Tonight though, we are back on track. I knew that I wanted to do something on the grill because it was supposed to be nice out. I just didn't realize it would be that hot. Tim did the actual grilling and it only took him a couple of minutes, so I say I had the worst end of the stick. I had to make a Mississippi Mud cake for Connor. That was his choice for his 10th birthday. It's funny, because it's the third year in a row he has chosen this as what he wants for his cake. Thankfully, we only make it once a year. It is crazy sweet. It's good, but almost too sweet, and I'm a sweet eater. So, I made the cake, I made potato salad for dinner, and I made burger buns from scratch. I was in the kitchen all afternoon and it was hot.

That leads us to dinner:
Burgers
Burgers, grilled asparagus, and potato salad

The asparagus was easy. I just used a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper on them and threw them in a grill basket and Tim threw it on the grill for a couple of minutes. Some of them got a little crispy because he made himself a martini while they were grilling. The potato salad is just a typical potato salad with potatoes, eggs, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. I didn't put any onions or celery into it because of Aidan. He did eat the asparagus. He had a few pieces and then said he wasn't sure he liked it or not. I was cool with it because he had already had a bunch before he came to that realization.

I think that is all I had for now. I want to rant about my shopping for groceries today but I will save that for tomorrow. I'm not sure how tomorrow's night dinner is going to get pulled off. We will be spending the day in Syracuse with some friends, going to the zoo. I have do it yourself pizza planned, but I don't think I have the gumption to go make the dough right now. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what time we get home in the afternoon and if I'll have two hours to spare for the process.

Ok, now I'm done. Happy cooking everyone. I'll leave you with a picture of Connor's cake.
Ten
Mississippi Mud Cake

1 comment:

  1. I think you are absolutely right...we need to do some cooking together on our next visit!

    ReplyDelete