Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day Forty-one--Pasta House Salad

Whew, it was hot yesterday and I'm glad that I planned accordingly. No stoves or ovens were used. I did finally have to run to the store to get some food and that was the extent of me dealing with the heat.

Dinner was a salad. This salad has been around for a while and I had to go do some digging around to find the recipe.

Pasta House Salad
Pasta House Salad

I remember this salad from my childhood. My mom's friend had sent it to her and my mom made it a lot. I had the recipe written down at some point, but with so many moves it has gotten misplaced. I was going to call my mom to get the recipe again but it's not easy getting in touch with her anymore so I resorted to the good 'ol internet. Seriously, how did we survive before the world wide web?! I was able to find the recipe and figure out where this recipe came from. The Pasta House is a series of restaurants in the St. Louis area. This makes sense to me because that is where our friend lives.

The salad itself is crazy easy to make. It's a mixture of romaine and iceburg lettuce. I like to chop it up into small pieces. Then there are a couple of jars of artichokes (that I chopped up a little), some pimentos and a sliced red onion. It seems I can't find jars of pimentos anymore. I had to get a jar of roasted red peppers and slice them up. Tim made the dressing for me while I was doing all the chopping. The dressing is just olive oil, red wine vinegar, and some salt and pepper. You pour the dressing over the salad and then grate fresh Parmesan cheese over the top.

Tim and I loved the salad. The kids, not so much. Actually, the kids hated it. I have warned them though that they better get used to salads or they are going to be really hungry. I'm kind of looking forward to tonight's salad too. It should be interesting. I just hope the kids like it. Until tonight(or tomorrow morning), happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment