Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day Forty-two--Mexican Quinoa Salad

So, remember yesterday I was saying how hot it was. Compared to today, yesterday was as cool as a cucumber. What happened to spring? Crazy. Dinner tonight was an easy one again. It did involve the stove but only for 15 minutes or so.

Mexican Quinoa Salad
Mexican Quinoa Salad

First, let me just say that I also made this:
Fresh salsa
Fresh salsa with organic tortilla chips
Perfection
And after my day, I was glad to have a cold beer to go with the whole shebang.

The salad. I'm not sure what I was thinking with this one. I guess I saw Mexican and that was enough for me. I did have my doubts about the quinoa. I'm not a big fan of quinoa. I've tried to like it, really I have. I knew I was in trouble when I was mixing the spices into the quinoa to cook. The recipe called for cinnamon and nutmeg with cayenne. It smelled horrid. The other things that went into the salad were good. Tomatoes, an avocado, black beans, corn and feta cheese. I should have just left it with that and not added the quinoa. Ick. It was gross. The kids both took a big "no thank you" bite, and both shuddered. I can't blame them. I took a couple of bites and gagged.

Thankfully, I had also made a huge batch of fresh salsa. I'm going to be eating salsa for the next couple of days with the amount I made. It was delicious. It was spicy and I think I might have used a little too much cilantro but it was good. Connor, Tim and I enjoyed the salsa. It was too spicy for Aidan.

So, to sum up. This salad was awful. I will NOT be making it again. I'll spare you the recipe. Trust me, it wasn't good. Tomorrow will be another salad. It should be interesting though because we have to leave at 6 to go see a live TV show being taped at our PBS station. I guess we are going to try to eat before hand. It will be rushed. I just hope it will be better than this one was. Until tomorrow, happy cooking!

2 comments:

  1. So, was it the quinoa itself that you didn't like or the spices in it? Could you make it without the spices? Just wondering...I have never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think mostly it was the seasoning. I don't like quinoa. It has a weird texture to me, but it doesn't usually make me gag. I might try something similar with that big couscous and lose the cinnamon and nutmeg. =)

    ReplyDelete