Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day Twenty-seven--Spanakopita

Hello all. I'm posting the day after again. Sorry. Last nights dinner was delish. I made an old favorite of ours. I made it basically because I had phyllo dough in the freezer, I had eggs and onions and garlic. All I had to buy for this dish was spinach (in season) and some ricotta cheese. I am going to use the rest of the ricotta for something else this week.

Spanakopita
Spanakopita

This is an easy meal. I whipped it up while Connor was at karate. Basically, you saute some onions and garlic in some olive oil. Once they are soft, you add a ton of spinach and let it wilt down. While the spinach is wilting, you mix together a couple of eggs, ricotta and feta. I had some feta left over from last week. When the spinach is done wilting you add that mixture to the cheese mixture. Then comes the fun part, at least for Aidan. You layer a few layers of phyllo dough, brushing each layer with olive oil. This was Aidan's job and he did it fabulously. Then you pour the cheese/spinach mixture into the layers of dough and repeat a few layers on top. Throw it in the oven for 30 minutes and you have yourself a pretty tasty and light dinner. It made five servings and Connor was quick to claim the fifth piece for his lunch for today. He even packaged it up and put it away himself. Three out of four of us liked this. Aidan liked the crust and he picked at the cheese mixture, but it had too much spinach for his liking. He did eat some of it though, so I'm happy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum. This looks so good! Gonna add that to my vegetarian recipe stash.

    ReplyDelete