Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day Twenty-One--Ravioli

Hello to all out there in cyber world. I'm happy to report that tonight's dinner was a success again. There was a lot of work in this one, but Tim helped and we had fun bumping into each other in the kitchen and giggling over the ridiculous reports on NPR.

Tonight's dinner is from a cookbook I picked up for Aidan over the weekend. I ran into the book store to get my book and had to look at the kids' books. Honestly, I can't be let loose in a bookstore. I blame my mother for this. Anywhooo, I picked up a cookbook for Connor and a cookbook for Aidan. I want them to feel at home in the kitchen too. I want them to be able to feed themselves and perhaps future girlfriends in the very far off future. For Aidan, I got The Silver Spoon for Children. It's a really great cookbook. It's nice and sturdy which is nice for working in the kitchen. Tonight we made ravioli from scratch.

Ravioli
Fresh Ravioli with Jamie's Awesome red sauce

I used the pasta recipe in this book instead of the one from The River Cottage cookbook. I think the recipe in the River Cottage cookbook was easier to work with. Tim made the filling and filled the little rounds of dough. I made the sauce and it simmered while we were working on the ravioli. The ravioli were supposed to be vegetarian, but Tim found the chunk of mozzarella that was wrapped with prosciutto and basil. He used that with the ricotta. It was a long process, but like I said, we had fun. The worst part was when the boys started cruising through the kitchen and snagging the ravioli as it was coming out of the water. The dinner all came together at the same time. We had the raviolis with the sauce and just a simple side salad. Aidan said it was the best dinner yet. It's funny. He's said that a couple of times already.

There were no left overs from this meal. The boys pounded the ravioli down like there was no tomorrow. There is a lot of the sauce left over. There was filling left over too. We've decided that since we had pizza just a couple of days ago, on Friday we're going to try and make calzones instead of pizza. I know, it's pretty much the same thing as pizza, but it will be a little different.

Tim made drinks for us tonight to go with our dinner. I turned mine into dessert. We've been having a cocktail every night lately. My favorite is the Sand in Your Shorts. Tonight we had White Spiders. It was minty and refreshing. I sipped it through dinner, but decided to throw a small scoop of vanilla ice cream (from our favorite dairy) into it and make it a dessert drink.

White Spider
White Spider

I think that is all I have for tonight. I'm tired and can't really think right now. I hope this post makes a little sense. Until tomorrow...where we will be having Mexican for Cinco de Mayo...Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment