Friday, May 7, 2010

Day Twenty-four--Calzones

It's Friday! In our home, we love Friday nights. Friday means pizza and movie night. We are watching Jaws: The Revenge. Good times.
120
We switched from having pizza to making calzones.

I made the dough early in the afternoon so it had plenty of time to rise. I then cooked up some spicy beef italian sausage. Chris and Amanda gave us a couple of samples of the grass fed sausage and we decided to give it a try tonight. It was very good and very spicy. Perfect. After the sausage was cooked, I fried up an onion, a red pepper and a green pepper. While those were cooking, I mixed some ricotta cheese, some mozzarella and some parmesan cheese.

I had enough dough to make four individual calzones. Aidan just had the cheese mixture in his. Tim, Connor, and I had the sausage and pepper mix. I pulled out the extra tomato sauce I had from earlier in the week and used that for dipping. It was delicious. They were really easy to put together and we have lunch for tomorrow too. It was also nice to have a switch up from pizza, although a calzone is basically a pizza pocket.

I don't have much else to report for now. I'm reading Animal, Vegetable and Miracle still and I will have a lot to "talk" about when I get done with it. I am really leaning towards eating seasonally though. It will be interesting to figure out what is really in season. When you go into the grocery store there is always a great variety of every fruit and vegetable. I never really thought too much about what was really in season. I'm happy with where we are right now with the eating of real food and not processed food. Sure, there is a little extra work involved, but it's worth it to be able to pronounce what is in my food.

I have a menu to do for next week, so until tomorrow...Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment