Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day Twenty-five--Soup and Sammie

Hello all. It was quite a blustery day here today. I made a quick menu up today and we are going to try to live off of what is in our cupboards this week with just a little bit of shopping. Since it was a chilly, windy day today I opted for some soup and sandwiches for dinner.

Soup and Sammie!
Egg salad sandwich with tomato soup.

I didn't really need a recipe for the egg salad so that was easy. In the past, we've usually used Campbells Tomato soup. Well, that just won't do when we are striving to make our food from scratch and better for us. I pulled out one of Connor's new cookbooks for this recipe. I got him the Williams and Sonoma Cookbook for Kids. I got this cookbook because of one particular recipe that I'm going to try next week just for fun. Anywhooo, the soup was really easy. It used a couple of cans of organic tomatoes, an onion, some milk and some organic chicken stock. It was really good. It was almost a little too acidic for me though. I've got to figure out how to tone down the acidity. As for the bread, oh my. I picked up this loaf at the dairy. It's from a local bakery. It was the softest, most flavorful loaf of rye bread ever. It took great restraint not to just butter that bread up and eat it. I only had the two slices for my sandwich which also included some fresh lettuce and some sliced tomato.

That is all for now. I'm going to curl up on the couch and watch an old BBC show that I used to love as a kid. Until tomorrow, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment