Monday, May 24, 2010

Day Thirty-nine--Calzones

Hello all. What a great weekend was had by all. Last night we enjoyed what we were supposed to have on Friday. The kids had been begging for calzones again.

027

028
Sausage, shallot and mushroom calzone, with vodka sauce

My dough was really great to work with this time. I think it might be because our house is closed up and dry. It rose beautifully and rolled out with no problems at all. It almost looked like professional dough. It felt amazing in my hands. I rolled out four individual rounds. Aidan just likes cheese in his, so that is what he got. I made sure that I drained the ricotta this time and it made for much less sloppy calzones. I mix ricotta, a ball of fresh mozzarella, and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese together. I used an egg rub around the edges of the round and folded the dough in half. I put in on the stone and started Connor's. Connor just wanted cheese and sausage in his. Last time he had onions and peppers and he didn't like how sloppy it was. While theirs were in the oven, I started on Tim's and mine. While I was making the kids, Tim had fried up some sliced shallots and mushrooms. We both had cheese, sausage and the onion mixture in ours. I drizzled a little olive oil on the tops of ours and then grated a bit more Parmesan cheese on top and I put oregano on mine.

These were so much better than last time. Draining the ricotta for a few minutes really helped a lot. We enjoyed these while watching Tremors with the boys. We all have leftovers for lunch today. That is always a plus in my book. The only bad thing is that I never got to making up menus for this week or go food shopping. That should make for an interesting dinner tonight. Can we say oatmeal?

Until later, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment