Friday, May 7, 2010

Day Twenty-three--Greek Salad

Sorry that I'm posting a day late. I was beat after dinner last night. Actually, I was in bed most of the day yesterday because I felt pretty darn crappy. I'm pleased that I was still able to get out of bed and make dinner. I have Tim to thank for help though. He went out and got a loaf of ciabatta bread and toasted it up for croûtons.

Greek Salad
Greek salad

This dinner was tasty! I wasn't sure how it was going to taste as I was putting it together. This recipe (do you really need a recipe for a salad?!) was from my Jamie Oliver 20Minute Meal app. It was several stages and I kept asking Tim "But when does the lettuce come into play?" The dressing was olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano. He also says to slice a red onion and pour a splash of red wine vinegar over the slices for a little bit. This made the onions taste fantastic. The only thing I didn't like, and will leave out next time, are the avocados. It called for 2 avocados and I only used one and I didn't feel like it went well with the salad. The lettuce and onions and everything were crisp and crunchy and then I would get a bite of avocado and nearly gag. I've made another salad of his with avocado in and loved it...just not this one.

The kids didn't really like this recipe. Connor and Aidan ate the croûtons, and a couple of bites of the lettuce but they really didn't like it. Tim and I really enjoyed it. It was nice to have something really light for a change. Tim was also joking that we had Mexican on Cinco de Mayo and that we were having Greek salad to commemorate the collapse of the Greek financial status. He's a riot, no?

Well, I hope I'm able to get more accomplished today. I am going to go start a loaf of bread and I need to start pizza dough this afternoon for tonight's dinner. I'll try and post tonight. Until then, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment