Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day Twenty-Eight--Black Beans and Rice

Gonna be a short post tonight. It's been a long day and I'm beat. In continuing with our "eat out of the cupboards" this week we had black beans and rice. This is a really easy dish to do. It's my mother's recipe and I love it.

Black Beans and Rice
Black Beans and Rice

At first I freaked out because I realized I had used my last onion last night in the spanakopita. Then I remembered I had like 3 separate containers in the refrigerator that had halves on onions in them. I dug them out and chopped them up and fried them up in olive oil. Along with the onion was garlic and a green pepper. Once they were all soft, I added cumin and chili powder and then two cans of black beans. Then they simmer while the rice cooks. Speaking of rice, I'm in trouble for a dinner later in the week. I ran out of rice with this meal and need it for one more meal this week. I am hoping that somewhere in the depths of my cupboard I might have a bag of brown rice somewhere. I usually buy big bags of basmati rice at our Indian market, but it's all gone now. If I can't find rice, I'm going to have to get creative with my meal. I guess you'll have to wait and see what happens.

So, the beans were served over rice. I shredded a tiny bit of cheese that I picked up at the dairy over the weekend. It's from a local farm. It's a softer cheese than I'm used to and had a really mild flavor. I'm used to cheeses that have flavor that almost bite back. This cheese was good on top of the beans though. Tim likes to put sriracha sauce on top of his for a little heat. This was an eight thumbs up meal. Everyone ate it and there were little leftovers for tomorrow. Good thing I made bread today so we can have sammies.

I think that is all I have for now. Until tomorrow, happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment