Friday, May 21, 2010

Day Thirty-seven--Beef Enchiladas

I started this post last night while I was in bed. I fell asleep. Yes, I was that tired. It was a busy day of trying to get the rest of school done. Aidan has five more lessons and then he is done and I'm pretty sure with some concerted effort Connor will be done by next Friday when we go to Hershey Park to celebrate the end of a school year.

Dinner was a win.

Beef Enchiladas

This dinner took a little more work than usual, but it all worked out in the end. It took about an hour from start to finish to do. It's funny because I had planned on Tim helping me and making the process go faster but when he came home he wanted to get his hour of treadmilling done. So, I just put on my NPR and got to work. First came the sauce. Interestingly enough, once the sauce was done, it had to simmer or 20 minutes. Oops. That's alright though because while the sauce was simmering, I fried up the beef with onions and then added green chilies. That took about 15 minutes. Then I had to lightly fry the corn tortillas. I'm not sure why you have to fry the tortillas in oil. They were soft to begin with but the recipe said to and I always follow a recipe exactly the first time. If I make it again, then I'll tweak it. After the tortillas were fried they get dipped in the sauce. This is where it starts to get messy. You take a sauce drenched tortilla and fill it with some of the beef mixture, some chopped black olives, some sliced green onions, and some fresh shredded cheddar cheese. At first I was grossed out at how messy my hands were and then I got into it and started having fun. Once I had a 13x9 pan filled with enchiladas, I poured some extra sauce over the top and covered it with some more shredded cheese. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and then prepare to feast. I had to have an extra pan because I had more enchiladas than space.

Tim said that if he had three thumbs they would be way up. Connor loved them. I loved them. Aidan tried to eat them and he said he liked them, but he said they were too spicy for him. They were spicy and I'm impressed that he ate as much as he did. We had Nancy over to share dinner time with her and she liked them too. Win. I'll be making these again, but maybe on a weekend where time doesn't matter as much.

Until later, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment