Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day Seventy-two--Couscous salad of sorts

Hello all. Sorry for the brief non-posting. It was just too much to keep up with between camp with the kids, keeping the house clean, the laundry done and everything. We did eat real food in the meantime. Wednesday we had eggs in the basket. Local bread with local eggs. A nice quick and easy dinner. Thursday we had smoothies. Yup. That was it. Everyone was so hot and tired that we didn't really want to eat all that much. Another easy meal. Friday was our normal pizza night. I was smart enough to make my pizza dough first thing in the morning so that I didn't have to worry about making it when we got home just after 4. I didn't photo any of these meals. I just didn't feel like it.

Things are pretty much back to normal now. Last night I made one of the recipes we were supposed to have on Wednesday night. I haven't had a chance to think about menus or shopping lists this week so I am happy to have a couple of meals that are easy "go-to" recipes for this weekend. Last night's recipe was tasty. It was easy and quick to put together. It's another recipe from the recent Everyday Food magazine.

Couscous, Black bean, Corn, and Mushroom Salad
Couscous, Black Bean, Corn and Mushroom salad

This recipe used Israeli couscous, which I had in the cupboard. Sadly, I used the rest of it in this dish and I didn't see it at Wegmans when I went last time. I'm hoping I can find it again because I really like the texture of it. I browned the couscous first and then added water and brought it to a boil and then it simmered while I finished getting rest of the things ready. I cooked the mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil. I pulled the mushrooms out of the pan and then cooked some corn with some green onions. Then this went in the bowl with the mushrooms. By this time the couscous was done and it went in the bowl too. Then I just squeezed two limes on top of it all and fluffed it all up.

Tim and I loved it. Connor liked it after he pulled all of the mushrooms out of it. Aidan had one bite and decided that he didn't like it. I think I'll make it again just to leave in the fridge for a quick lunch.

That is all I have for now. I suppose I'm going to go make up a menu for next week. We're supposed to be in the mid-90s all week. No baking around here, well except for Friday pizza, but I'm hoping the temps will normalize by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment