Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Days 114-120

Oh my. It's Tuesday already and I haven't posted yet. Sorry my faithful viewers (all three of you), it's been a busy weekend. We have officially been doing very low carb eating for one month now. This will be the fourth week with no sugar, no grains, no fruit, no carbs. The only carbs that we ingest are in the form of vegetables. We all feel fantastic. I'm not going to lie, it was rough the first week. Both Tim and I had our share of withdrawls and some pretty impressive fatigue. That is all behind us now. More importantly, Connor's blood sugars continue to be very good. We are having a bit of a problem with him having a low blood sugar once a day. The problem with that is that after his low, he usually rebounds with a higher number, although he doesn't rebound over 200 anymore. When he goes down and then swoops back up then I can't tell if his basal rates are ok or not. I finally called his nurse today and asked her if I should change his insulin sensitivity because I noticed that whenever we bolus a high (130--that's crazy that we consider that a high now) that within two to three hours he's low. She did indeed change his sensitivity and his carb ratio. His rates are dropping. He now needs less insulin to treat a high and less insulin for what carbs he does eat. We are THRILLED. I dropped his basal rates again today too. He's been such a trooper with us experimenting and his constant blood sugar checks, but he's also being rewarded so he doesn't really care.

So, now that I've rambled on about what most of you probably don't understand, let's get to the meals:

Sunday:
Roast Beef with Cabbage
Roast Beef with stir fried cabbage and tomato casserole

We decided to use some of the big roasts in our freezer this week because we are about to get another order of our grass fed beef. We are excited to watch our freezer fill up again and we are excited to go see Chris and Amanda out at their beautiful home. This was a pretty easy roast to do. I've never done a roast before so it was interesting. I looked up online how long to cook it and apparently had bad information. It had to cook an hour longer than I thought it would. It ended up being pretty good though. It also made for a lot of leftovers for the next couple of days.



Monday:
Scallops in Bacon and broccoli
Scallops wrapped in bacon with broccoli

Tim and I loved this dish, but the kids weren't as keen on it this week. They each had a couple of them and then claimed they weren't hungry. It was kind of a rushed dinner because we were so busy that day (Labor Day) that we had a late dinner and both of the kids wanted to squeeze in a Scotland Yard game before bed.


Tuesday:
Peanut Ginger Pork with bok choy
Peanut Ginger Pork Chop with Bok Choy

This was a new recipe and it was delicious. Three of the four of us loved it and the surprise was that Connor was the one who didn't like this one. Aidan loved it. I'm getting to where I really like marinated things early in the day and then all I have to do is cook it. Easy peasy. I'm not sure why Connor didn't like it, but he's not been as hungry as usual so we're not forcing him to eat it if he doesn't like it.


Wednesday:
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche with a salad

This meal is a three-peat for us. It's easy for me because I can throw it together while Connor is at karate and it's ready when he gets home. Everyone loves it and we always have enough left over for the kids to have a lunch the next day. You're probably going to get tired of seeing this meal, but we aren't tired of eating it yet.


Thursday:
40 Garlic Clove roast with Swiss Chard
40 clove Brisket with Swiss Chard

I'm not sure about this meal. For one thing, it was a pain in the arse to peel 40 cloves of garlic even though I have one of those little rubber roll garlic peelers. Again, I followed the internet for cooking times and this one was way off this time. I think I over-cooked it. It was still tasty, but the meat dried out a bit. The garlic was delicious though. We smooshed a bunch of them over our beef while we were eating. Connor ended up basically eating garlic. You probably could smell us from down the block.



Friday:
Bacon Feta Chicken with Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Bacon Feta Chicken with Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts

We really like this meal too. We've had this before. It's so painfully easy. You put a bunch of feta cheese on top of a chicken breast and then put a couple of pieces of bacon on top of that. Throw in in the oven and bake it....dinner done. We had this with roasted brussel sprouts. I think Connor has a serious addiction to brussel sprouts. Interestingly enough, they have a pretty high carb count for a vegetable. 2 brussel sprouts have 3 carbs in them. At most we allow him to have 12 carbs at a meal. He uses all of those carbs up on the sprouts.


Saturday:
Korean Beef with Stir-fried Cabbage
Korean Beef with Stir fried cabbage

Saturday was a treat for us because Tim's dad and most awesome step mom came into town to spend the day with us. We treated them to our way of eating. I hope they survived it. We made one of our faves. The Korean Beef and cabbage. Oh man, I can't get over how much flavor those little strips of steak have. They are so good. We had a lot of fun and I know Laurie had a lot of questions so when I have time to write I'll post some of the resources we've been using.

So there was our past week. We are starting to settle into certain meals each week. It's funny because in the past I used to get upset with us eating the same thing all the time. I would get bored. It's different now though because most of the time I'm not hungry and I don't crave anything anymore. We're basically eating to fuel ourselves now. Novel idea, right?

Well, I have to jet because I have two boys waiting for their hugs and kisses. Until next week (and hopefully on time) I hope everyone stays happy.

2 comments: