Sunday, August 29, 2010

Days 101-106

Hello all. I hope everyone is doing ok. We had another great week of food here. We have gone 2 weeks in our home with no sugar, no flour, and very low carb intake. The only one who has had a problem with it is, of course, Aidan. He is/was a serious carboholic. I've had to supplement him a couple of times for lunch with some leftover Peanut Butter Puffins we had in the cupboard. I told him though that when they are gone, there will be no more cereal. There have also been a couple of meals where he has absolutely not liked it. I will give him props because he will at least try things, but if he doesn't like it, he won't eat it. I don't make him things eat things that he doesn't like. We have learned that lesson before and it involved broccoli and it wasn't pretty. In the past, I've fixed something different for him so he doesn't starve. That has changed though. If he doesn't like dinner, he's told that what's on the table is all we have and he doesn't have to eat it. It's made him a pretty big breakfast eater lately. =) I figure once he stops pining for all the things he can't have, he'll get used to it and start eating what the rest of us like. I also take note of what he actually likes and I'll make them again for him.

So, let's get to last weeks meals. I only have 6 days this week because Saturday night I went out with some good friends and Tim took care of their dinner. He didn't take a picture, but I'll let you know what he did.

Sunday:
Mexican Casserole
Mexican Casserole

This was basically a big taco salad. It was a layer of ground beef with taco seasoning and then cream cheese that had been softened. This added the refried bean texture without the carbs. Then it was just lettuce, tomato, onions, some grated cheddar and some salsa on top. It was delicious. I thought I would miss having tortilla chips with this but I didn't.

Monday:
Bacon Feta Chicken with Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Bacon Feta Chicken with Roasted Brussel Sprouts

This meal was enjoyed by all. Tim wasn't sure about the combination of feta cheese with the bacon but he really liked this one. Connor loved the brussel sprouts. He always does. These are roasted in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I have to figure out something else to roast them with because the balsamic effects his blood sugars because there is sugar in it.

Tuesday:
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche

This was one that Aidan loved. Instead of a pastry crust like a regular quiche, the crust is made of ground beef and crumbled bacon. Then it's topped with an egg mixture. This tasted really good and Aidan was able to have leftovers the next day for lunch. The tomatoes are fresh out of our garden and were so tasty.

Wednesday:
Lasagna
Lasagna

This was delicious too. Instead of noodles, I sliced zucchini into thin strips and made them look like noodles. I made the mistake of not peeling them though. Aidan loved the lasagna until he caught a glimpse of green and then he picked around the zucchini. I think if I had peeled the zukes then he wouldn't have noticed as quickly. He did eat some of the zucchini though. This made a ton and we all had a piece for lunch the next day. There was some other poor planning on my part. This has to do with Connor's karate. We are finding that after his one hour of activity in karate his blood sugars rise a little bit. The mistake I made was having something with a tomato sauce on karate night. His sugar did rise but I can't really pinpoint if it was the karate or if it was the spaghetti sauce. The sauce had no sugar in it at all, but some vegetables (I know tomatoes are officially a fruit) turn to sugar very fast in your system.

Thursday:
Creamy Southwestern Chicken with green beans
Creamy Southwestern Chicken

I laugh when I'm typing this because both boys had a very negative reaction to this meal. Connor accused me of trying to poison him and Aidan asked if I put vomit on a plate. Cute kids, right? Tim and I actually really liked this one. It was chicken breasts cut up into bite size pieces and then browned. I added a little cream and a small can of green chilies to it and then shredded in a tiny bit of Monterey jack cheese. It had a lot of flavor (which apparently the kids did not appreciate) and it was just creamy goodness. I'll be making this again for me just to have in the fridge to put on top of a salad or something. The boys did eat their green beans though.

Friday:
Pizza Bites
Pizza bites

I'm still trying to figure out a suitable replacement for our lost Friday night pizza night. I had hoped this would be it, but again, the boys did not like them. Mind you, they ate them all, but they said they didn't like them. These were pretty easy to make. The "crust" is a piece of pepperoni and then on top of that is a mixture of cream cheese, garlic, oregano and an egg. It was also supposed to have pizza sauce mixed in but I left that out to see what happened with Connor's blood sugar with no sauce. On top of each little bite I put toppings of choice. I had a bit of crumbled bacon. Tim had tiny little chopped up green peppers sprinkled on top and Connor had some prosciutto and basil. Aidan doesn't really like pepperoni so his was just a cheese bite basically. These were just ok. Pizza is a hard thing for us to give up. I love making the dough and rolling it out and making different kinds of pizzas and it has been a tradition in our home for a while. We'll figure something out and we'll survive. It's just going to take some time.

That brings us to Saturday. I went out with a few of my friends to a local bar and we just enjoyed some drinks and bar food. I had butter garlic wings. They were amazing. Aidan knew I was getting wings so he begged me to bring him some home too. Tim said he would experiment with a pizza crust and try to make pizzas for the boys. Soy flour has very little carbs and a lot of fiber so it's allowed by Dr Bernstien in small amounts. Tim just mixed some soy flour, an egg and a tablespoon of oil. It made three 7 inch crusts. Each of them had their own. They got to choose their toppings and they were thrilled. They saved me a tiny piece to try when I got home. I tasted it and it was pretty good. Our pizza night problem might be solved. Tim put pizza sauce on the pizzas (again a sauce with no sugar) and Connor's blood sugar rose a bit. He might be having white pizzas from now on but honestly he likes the toppings more than anything. I brought home the wings and all of the boys were eating wings at 9 pm. They were happy with them. As far as I know the wings had no carbs in them. They were not breaded. They were butter and garlic (a LOT of garlic) so we didn't bolus Connor any carbs for the wings. In the middle of the night his BS was pretty good. I think that if the wings did have carbs in them he would have been really high because of getting no insulin. He woke up Sunday morning with a high and it took him half a day to bring them back down to normal. Tim thinks it was just that his pump site was bad and changed it. So, again we have a night that we're not sure what made his sugars rise. It's been and will continue to be a grand experiment figuring out what foods do what to his sugars. I will say that last week his seven day BS average was 122. Pretty darn good. We're very happy with the results so far and will continue this, much to Aidan's dismay. Until next week, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment